Friday, December 14, 2018

Blog post #2

           I have now been taking 10-minute showers every day and it is the 2nd week. So far, this is going well and I have not showered any more than 10-minutes. It is difficult to manage my time wisely but I am slowly starting to get much better at my time management.
           I use to take 20 min showers. However,  now they are about 10 min and I know this because I set a timer for how long I can shower for. I used to use 42 gallons of water a day, but now I am only using up 21 gallons because I have started taking shorter showers. After taking a shower for a week, I will have saved 147 gallons of water.  After 30 days which is roughly a month, I will have saved 630 gallons of water. If I continued taking showers every day for 10 minutes throughout the course of a year, I would have saved 7,665 gallons of water. This is a lot of water that could have been wasted instead of being used for someone in a different country that doesn't have the same access as me to fresh water.
           At the school I attend, it has roughly 400 students. If each student did the same shower behavior as me, within 1 day, we will have saved 8,400 gallons of water. That's a lot of water. I am pretty surprised that by taking shorter showers you can save a lot more water then you realized you were using.
           The information regarding if 400 students showered every day for 10 minutes is not a fact. I guarantee that some people do not even shower ever ay and some people may take even shorter or much longer showers than me. This representation was primarily used to show what it would be like if everyone was like me. However, because everyone is not me, that creates a limitation within the information I am sharing.

           Perlman, Howard, and USGS. “Water Questions & AnswersHow Much Water Does the Average Person Use at Home per Day?” Adhesion and Cohesion Water Properties, USGS Water Science School, water.usgs.gov/edu/qa-home-percapita.html. 

No comments:

Post a Comment