Friday, December 21, 2018

Blog post #3

           I am now on my 3rd week of trying my new behavior to reduce my environmental impact. Basically, I have been taking showers every day. Every other day I take a 10-minute shower which is used for using shampoo and on the other days between, I take 5-minute showers and do not use shampoo. The reason for this is because if you put shampoo in your hair every single day, it will begin to make your head dry and create dandruff as well as other problems for your scalp. To know how much time I am in the shower for, I put on music while I shower, but I already know how long the song is which helps me time myself.
           If this project ended today, I would try to continue to create the habit because I spend more time then I need to in the shower. My old habit was not good because it used to make me late to school and it also wasted a lot of my time in the mornings. I think this is what motivates me which is just the fact that I want to spend my time doing more productive things then showering.
           Through this project, I have been able to do my behavior continuously. I have not gone towards my old habits but I do need to frequently remind myself "like ok, I need to get out now."
           A habit that I have tried working on in the past is to go to bed at 10pm. After about a couple weeks (so around 2) It became something regular I would do. I ended up quitting this habit when I stayed with my friend for a month while my mom was traveling because he would go to bed between 11 and 12 which led to me doing the same thing.
           After reading an article about how long it takes to develop a new habit, I learned that it takes a minimum of 21 days to develop a new habit but on average it takes 66 days. After hearing this, I do not know what to think of it. It makes it sound like it will be a lot harder for me to start a new habit which I am not looking forward too. However, I think something from this article that is important is that it is not impossible to start a new habit. No matter how hard it may be to start a new habit, the article proves that even if it takes a while, you can always create a new habit for yourself.

5 comments:

  1. I would also think that taking a shorter amount of shower would less impact the environment we are living. This is because we are wasting less amount of water and to think that a 10 minute shower is wasting 20 gallons of water. You can also imagine this as if you are wasting 20 gallons of gasoline. That is absurd, one person wasting 20 gallons while you can use less and less but realistically thinking no one is able to take a 1 minute shower so as long as we don't waste water with no purpose. I think this should be fine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What made you decide to take shorter showers? do you think that shorter showers are as enjoyable as normal shower times, like when your crying in the shower or just standing there for an hour?

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I appreciate that you are honest when you are answering the question of "would you continue this habit after the project?"
    In addition, I would like to know why you began to take shorter showers?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I appreciate your honesty, but i am curious to know why you would TRY to continue your habit? Why not be confident that you can succeed in your mission? Has it been to difficult? I want to point out Corina Bolands comment, she makes a good question that i think will challenge your thinking. "why did you begin taking shorter showers?"

    ReplyDelete